Caldwell Martin Cox is a leading law firm first established in the Wollondilly Shire township of Picton in the early 1950’s and Tahmoor in 1980 before expanding to the Camden Municipality townships of Camden in 1989 and Narellan in 1998.
The firm prides itself on the fact that they:
know and understand the local culture;
are attuned to the needs of the local community;
can service the business and private sectors wherever they may be;
are a highly skilled team armed with cutting edge technology to provide modern solutions when and where required.
are available by appointment outside of normal business hours; and
History of 28 Hill Street, Camden
Many visitors to our office at 28 Hill Street Camden ask about the history of the building. With its impressive 12 foot ceilings and its prominent location in Hill Street, it is something of a local landmark.
What may not be generally known is that the building was originally the presbytery for the local Catholic Church, St Paul’s. Historical records indicate that in about 1880 on land that had been donated by Sir William Macarthur the then Catholic Parish Priest, Father James Sheridan, arranged for the building of the original presbytery at 28 Hill Street.
As the foundation stone at the front of the building testifies, constructions started on our building, the new presbytery, on 5 January 1919. The building was built in front of the then existing presbytery. The cost of the building was recorded at around 2,000 pounds of which 641 pounds was collected on the occasion of the laying of the foundation stone.
The Parish Priest at this time, Father A J Hogan, was noteworthy as being both the owner and driver of Camden’s first motor car and also the first Australian born Catholic Priest to be Parish Priest of Camden.
The building was completed in December 1919 with the following description appearing in the Camden News:
The ground floor consists of a large entrance vestibule 8ft. x 8ft., from which opens the parlor 15ft. x 14ft. wide giving access to dining room 18ft. x 14ft., living room 17ft. x 14ft., kitchen, pantries, laundry, and maids apartment. From the centre hall access to the first floor is obtained by means of a large staircase. The upstairs compartments consist of oratory, library, three bedrooms, curate’s suite, bathroom, etc. There are large verandahs and balconies on three sides of the building. The building is of brick with pattern bricks and tiles worked in. The work has been carried out by Messrs Peters & Son, contractors of Camden, from the plans and under the supervision of Messrs. Hennessy & Hennessy, architects, 58 Hunter Street, Sydney.
The building served as the Presbytery for the Catholic Church until May 1959. The property at 28 Hill Street then went through various owners and was at one time owned by a local doctor and also the CSIRO. It was also at one stage converted into 5 flats before being purchased by our firm.
After refurbishment work and arranging for the installation of facilities appropriate for a modern legal office, while retaining the heritage feature of the building, our Camden office moved from the former premises next door at 24 Hill Street on Remembrance Day 11 November 2005.
The partners acknowledge and thank the Local Studies Section of Camden Library, Camden Historical Society and St Paul’s Camden for providing the above information.